Monday, November 21, 2016

November 21st....First week in the field!





Oi family and friends! Well i made it to Salvador. My first area is called Camaçari. My companion is wonderful and this is her last transfer before she goes home. She is American and is from Virginia but she speaks Portugeuse so well that everyone just thinks shes a brasilera haha. As for me its pretty clear that im as white as white gets and that im not from here. I get alot of stares because pretty sure im the only white person here. Also everyone i meet makes sure to tell me to put sunscreen on haha so dont worry mom im not gonna get burned.
Adgusting to life as a real missionary has been extremely hard.Im not gonna sugarcoat it. This is hard hard work. Our apartment was so disgusting and we spent the whole first few days cleaning. We only have water every other day and its always cold. Our washer is broken.The toilet doesnt flush so we have to pour a bucket of water into it to flush it. Real glamorous stuff happenin over here haha. Its really hot and im always sweaty..so sweaty! My feetare bloody and blistered. We walk so much.My second day a lady fed us liver for lunch and you can bet i threw that up as soon as we left. A stray dog tried to attack me the other day but luckily we had a member with us and he saved me haha. The language is so hard for me. The CTM taught me nothing and i feel unprepared and scared to talk to people. I cry alot and when im not crying i feel like i could. But its ok! All of these things cause me to pray pray pray harder than i ever have before. I am climbing hills literally as well as emotionally and physically and mentally. Every day is a battle of can i walk for so many miles and can i understand anything anyone says to me and can i get over my homesickness and focus? And the answer always comes that YES i can. This is not supposed to be easy. Not even a little bit. This is supposed to be hard. Within the struggles i am feeling heavenly fathers hand in my life. I am seeing miracles in the peoples lives that we teach. There are the chubbiest cutest babies ive ever seen in my life and the happiest most humble people. There is real fruit juice and fruit everywhere. There are cats everywhere! People are always dancing and there is always Bob Marley being played super loud. There are beautiful flowers and trees and butterflies (grandpa bluth would love it) There are good things in my life. Happy peaceful moments. The scriptures have been such a source of comfort.
We are teaching a mother and son- Rosa and Nadsen. Rosa was recently baptized and now her son is taking the lessons. They are awesome and live in the tiniest most decrepit house ive ever seen. They dont have enough chairs for us all to sit in for lessons.But they are strong and humble. One day we were teaching them and i really felt like i needed to bear my testimony of gods love for us. I was SO nervous beacsue i knew that i didnt know all the words but i had a moment of bravery and i started to talk. They cried and i cried and the spirit was so strong. I didnt know why i felt the need to say that or why they needed to hear it but God did. The spirit taught them and bore tetsimony to them- not me. It was amazing and it strengthened my own testimony so much. God is helping me so much.
Another thing that helps within the hard times is humor and laughter. You all know how much I love to laugh. So last night we were out proselyting and it started POURING rain. We were probably 2 miles from our apartment. We were soaked and the streets were completely flooded.My first thought was seriously? Why does it have to rain right now? My dress is ruined and my feets are muddy. And then i stepped into the deepest puddle and fell on my butt and just started laughing. Here i am somewhere in salvador brazil on a sunday night walking around in a storm trying to find someone to teach about jesus christ in a language i dont know. And now here i am sitting in a puddle in the middle of the road and im laughing because this is funny and who wouldve ever thought that i would ever be here?? haha i am learning so much already. About patience and humility and loving strangers. Its all gonna be ok though. I know that i am in gods hands and he is sending me angels to bear me up. I miss my family and my home but this is where im supposed to be and i feel that so much. Salvador is awesome. This gospel is awesome. Eu amo voces muito!
Next week i will probably havemore to say but for today this is all ive got. I hope everyone has a happy thanksgiving and that you can remember to be grateful for your blessings and families. I have so so much to be thankful for! Eat lots of pie and stuffing for me!!
jeffrey r holland:

If it was right when you prayed about it and trusted it and lived for it, it is right now. Dont give up when the pressure mounts. Certainly dont give into that being who is bent on the destruction of your happiness.Face your doubts. Master your fears. Cast not therefore your confidence. Stay the course and see the beauty of life unfold for you.



Looks hot!  Luckily they have great juice bar next to their apartment!


  
Making her apt homey:)



No comments:

Post a Comment